Ohio Regulators Recall Cannabis Edibles Due to Heavy Metal Contamination
Complete the form below and we will email you a PDF version of "Ohio Regulators Recall Cannabis Edibles Due to Heavy Metal Contamination "
Authorities in Ohio have issued a mandatory recall order for a batch of medical cannabis edibles after they were found to breach the acceptable levels of cadmium.
As reported by the Cincinnati Enquirer, a batch of Encore Edibles, produced by Canton-based processor Mother Grows Best, didn't pass all the required heavy metal tests before being sold at eight dispensaries across Ohio.
The products were reportedly sold between August 17 and October 1. On the latter day, the Ohio Department of Commerce issued its recall message.
Cadmium can be present in the soil and water of cannabis farms. If the heavy metal is absorbed by the plants in high quantities, the eventual cannabis product could pose certain health risks. Long-term exposure to cadmium has been linked to cancers and cardiovascular issues.
As such, the Ohio Department of Commerce has advised any patient who bought an Encore Edible to return it unused to the dispensary where it was purchased.
The eight affected dispensaries include:
- Greenleaf Apothecaries (Akron):M00000078821; batch number: 1A40701000020D1000001105
- Greenleaf Apothecaries (Canton):M00000078821; batch number: 1A40701000020D1000001111
- Greenleaf Apothecaries (Cleveland):M00000078821; batch number: 1A40701000020D1000001137
- Greenleaf Apothecaries (Columbus):M00000078821; batch number: 1A40701000020D1000001191
- Have a Heart Cincy (Cincinnati): M00000078821; batch number: 1A40701000020D1000001310
- Ohio Cannabis Company (Coshocton):M00000078821; batch number: 1A40701000020D1000001124
- Pure Ohio Wellness (Dayton):M00000078821; batch number: 1A40701000020D1000001219
- Zen Leaf (Canton):M00000078821; batch number: 1A40701000020D1000001083
The recall is reportedly the fourth in the history of Ohio's medical cannabis program, which began sales in January 2019, and the first for Mother Grows Best.